Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grandma Day and Emma Enjoyed it Too







The photos are of my son Michael and Tia. My granddaugher Sophia. Rosa on the first day of the hospital and the first time I baby sat her.

Let me explain. I love kids. I am a nut about kids. Maybe you would say I am nuts about kids...so you might try to guess how much I love my own children, their spouses and my grandchildren.

The first day I babysat Rosa was the day that followed her birth. She was born at nearly midnight. The next morning Mike called me. "Mom do you want to babysit Rosa?" I was thrilled beyond belief and yes they were still in the hospital. "Tia needs some sleep as we got nearly none last night" (He seemed surprise to learn how busy newborns keep you all night long) "and I want some time with Sophia and to do a few things at home before they come home.

Well I wanted to zip to the hospital but I am sure Greg drove. I mention all this because today I got to babysit and I was so darn delighted. Sophia is just home from Puerto Rico trip with her dad and step mom. She went to school yesterday but today was just wiped. She had circles under her eyes that looked almost like a black eye. I have never seen that on a child. She needed rest. Tia had school and work and Mike helped Greg with some things at work.

Now it took seconds for me to cancel other plans and agree to go over. Rosa normally would have gone this day to part time day care which she calls her "school" but arranging to get her there and pick her up after just a few hours did not pan out. Also I begged to have her too. I don't think I have ever said no to seeing the girls.

Well it was a good thing Rosa was home for company. Sophia was so worn out she spent most the day in bed. She would come to see me a bit and say "Grandma is it okay if I go back to my bed?" She slept and read a lot. Just what the doctor would order I think. She looked so much better at the end of the day.

Tia had clinicals tonight and Mike band practice so the girls had a big treat. They got to go to Grandma Carol's and Grandpa Bob's and they love that too. So we called it Grandma Day.

Now Emma doesn't mind being there at all. She loves the smells of a city yard. She and Lily hang out together. At one point they even slept on the floor darn close to each other. They are with each other enough it is no big deal. Sophia and Rosa like Emma so it works out fine.

I would like to tell you more about our day but i am trying to think if it would be interesting and also I need to go relax before our late dinner. So I think I will wait till tomorrow or later tonight.

I told a tired Tia who was home only briefly between work and school/clinical - being a mom is fantastic but being a Grandma is also terrific because you have both your children and grandchildren. I do think Mike and Tia could both use a day at home to sleep and read like Sophia. In the real world that doesn't happen very easily for grownups now does it? Not till you are retired like I am at least.

Take good care. Tomorrow we have water exercise and then can nap at home. Mary and Emma

No comments: